Key features: Innovate UK and the Office for Low Emission Vehicles (OLEV) are to invest up to £20m in collaborative research & development projects to significantly reduce the mass of road-going vehicles.
Programme: Collaborative research and development
Award: Up to £20 million
Opens: 24 Aug 2015, 00:00
Registration closes: 07 Oct 2015, 12:00
Closes: 14 Oct 2015, 12:00
Support phone number: 0300 321 4357
Developing advanced lightweight vehicles
Innovate UK and the Office for Low Emission Vehicles (OLEV) are to invest up to £20m in collaborative research & development projects to significantly reduce the mass of road-going vehicles.
We aim to bring together and develop the best UK supply chain capability and expertise in the areas of advanced lightweight materials, as well as system and sub-system redesign and innovation, to make significant and necessary leaps in road vehicle weight reduction in order to reduce CO2 and other emissions.
Projects funded by this competition will have the opportunity for follow-on support via the Advanced Propulsion Centre (APC) to further develop the products and processes towards commercialisation.
Proposals must be collaborative and be led by a UK-based business organisation. We expect to fund projects containing mainly industrial research activity. Small businesses could receive up to 70% of their eligible project costs, medium-sized businesses 60% and large businesses 50%.
Consortia need to include at least one vehicle manufacturer or Tier 1 supplier.
We expect the projects to range in size from total costs of £2m to £5m, and to last between 18 and 36 months, although we may consider a project outsidetheseranges.
This is a two-stage competition that opens for applications on 24 August 2015. The deadline for registration is noon on 7 October 2015, and the deadline for applications is at noon on 14 October 2015.
There will be a competition briefing and consortium-building event for potential applicants in Droitwich Spa in Worcestershire on 3 September 2015.
Supporting documents & links
- Full competition brief
- Register for competition briefing event
- Register for competition briefing webinar
- Competition guidance
- development of the manufacturing processes for advanced lightweight materials to deploy them into more on-vehicle uses, at a cost and manufacturing time which will make them more attractive to be used in medium- and high-volume vehicles
- innovative development of on-vehicle componentry or sub-systems to significantly reduce their mass as well as the vehicle's overall mass
- development of new componentry which will replace a number of other components or sub-systems to achieve a significant overall reduction in vehicle mass
Out of scope
- lightweighting developments promising only incremental mass reduction
- vehicle downsizing projects, such as moving to a smaller segment vehicle, e.g. L-category
- purely academic materials chemistry development projects
|Competition opens||24 August 2015|
|Competition briefing||3 September 2015|
|Registration deadline||noon 7 October 2015|
|Deadline for applications||noon 14 October 2015|
|Applicants informed if being invited to second stage||13 November 2015|
|Second stage interview panel for invited applicants||W/c 26 January 2016|